5 Quick Hits on Day 11 of Blue Bombers training camp:
1. VETERAN LEG TO CHALLENGE ‘LEGS’: The Blue Bombers added an experienced kicker on Tuesday, signing Tyler Crapigna. His arrival means the club now has two kickers in camp, including 2020 draft pick Marc ‘Legs’ Liegghio.
Crapigna has a CFL career field-goal percentage of 85.2, having connected on 98 of 115 tries in games covering a span from 2015-19.
He was recently released by the Montreal Alouettes, who had acquired him in a February 2020 trade with Toronto for Boris Bede.
The club has signed veteran Canadian kicker @TCrapigna4.
— Winnipeg Blue Bombers (@Wpg_BlueBombers) July 20, 2021
2. HOW ‘BOUT THAT SMOKE?: The Bombers practice scheduled for Tuesday morning was cancelled due to the poor air quality caused by smoke. But the club opted to take the field for a late-afternoon session that was to run until 6:30 p.m. There was also no media availability today with players.
— Willie H. Jefferson III (@Stmn_Willie_Bmn) July 20, 2021
We do have a feature on Global linebacker Les Maruo from an earlier interview, and that story is here:
3. GET ‘EM WHILE THEY’RE HOT: The Bombers sold 1,000 tickets to the August 5th opener in the first 10 minutes single-game tickets were made available to the general public Monday morning. Bombers President and CEO Wade Miller guested on CJOB’s Breakfast with the Bombers Tuesday morning and indicated ‘there’s seats left, but they’re going quick.’
“Tickets are going really well so far, there’s a buzz, for sure,” said Miller. “Our fan-service team has been waiting for this for 15 months, so all their hard work is now paying off. August 5th is going to be special in this province.”
The club is also getting a number of calls for fans still interested in buying season tickets and flex-packs, so some seats will be held back to accommodate that demand. It was also announced on Monday that fully-vaccinated out-of-province fans will also be able to attend games providing they have their provincial immunization records that show indicate a two-week clearance from their second dose.
Miller reminded fans to come early to the August 5th opener so that those immunization codes and IDs can be checked and that will mean extra time is needed before entry to IG Field.
4. HEAD COUNT: ICYMI, the Bombers were busy on Monday, trading for veteran DB Alden Darby from the Toronto Argonauts after the news that Mercy Maston would be lost for the season with an Achilles injury and also releasing 10 players.
That leaves 92 players in camp, including Darby, Maston and now Crapigna
Offensive line: 13
Defensive line: 11
Defensive backs: 27
5. FOND FAREWELL/WELCOME ABOARD: Darby, the veteran DB acquired Monday, was a fan favourite in Toronto. He tweeted out a farewell to Argos fans Tuesday while indicating his excitement about joining the Bombers.
But my best ball is still to come. And I’m so thankful for the opportunity to join the defending grey cup champs @Wpg_BlueBombers ready to get to work on the field and most importantly in the community! Let’s get it ! #ForTheW 💙🙏🏾
— Alden Darby (@Pic6Darb) July 20, 2021